Where the mind is free........

Friday, August 21, 2009

People who influenced me: Samuel Beckett


Samuel Beckett's definitive place as one among the theatre of the absurds in capturing the essense of the 20th century is exemplified in the play 'Waiting for Godot' which has a lasting impression upon me. Waiting as the metaphor for life and the two characters Lucky and Pozzo as representing the humanity with its hierarchy of oppression by one on the other, captures the essense of a world which still does not lose an opportunity in chaining and subjugating the other.


In defiance of the conventions, Beckett answered to the question why there are only two chapters, 'because one would be too less and three would be too much' and to the question who is godot? he said ' if I knew I would have said it in the play' for me indicates the very sentiment of the man against any kind of oppression as the theme of the play.


No comments:

Post a Comment