Where the mind is free........

Friday, August 21, 2009

People who influenced me: Amos Oz




Amos Oz is a Jewish writer. His 'A tale of Love and Darkness' influenced me immensely. I have not read any other of his novels but the simplicity and profoundness of his writing shakes me even now. Writing about the times post formation of Israel he vividly captures the idiosyncracies of the immigrant Jew mostly with European manners trying to come to terms with the lack of standards back in their own HOME country although it is their dream come true. His love of books goes with the fact of his father being a librarian. I admire him for being so capable of getting outside the Jewish self and examining his own people, but more importantly his complaints to his mother who committed suicide. The passage is so memorable of a child who has not reconciled to his mother leaving him forever... in such a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment